Friday, May 25, 2007

Arizona state capitol building


The Arizona State Capitol building in Phoenix, Arizona, formerly housed the Territorial and State Legislatures, as well as various executive offices. These have relocated to adjacent buildings, and the Capitol is maintained as a museum, which we visited yesterday (it's free, and air-conditioned!)

The building was created as part of an effort to demonstrate that the Arizona Territory was ready for statehood. A design contest was won by James Riely Gordon, and ground was broken in 1898. The building opened in 1900, and was home to the Legislature until 1960, and the Governor's Office until 1974. After a restoration, the building became a museum.

Also visit my top three fave daily photos for the day:

Naples, Florida

Selma, North Carolina

Ystad, Sweden

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Martel said...

Finally Internet (Because I can have Internet only the weekend and the public holidays), I can visit your blog. This weekend I present Martel in version black and white. I prefer the photographs in b&w and you?

My blog photographs on the town of Martel